So, what does it mean to start your day on a roll? Well, it’s all about establishing a morning routine that sets you up for the day ahead. Creating a routine that revolves around you and the things you want to do is an effective way to kick-start your day and get yourself into a positive, ultimately more productive frame of mind. Think about it for a moment: have you ever started your day with a promise to yourself that you’ll do something just for you later? You may say to yourself that you’ll go for a jog later, or you’ll catch up with that magazine article you’ve been meaning to read, but then the events of the day take over and the something you want to do just for you gets sidelined. When this happens, chances are you promise yourself that you’ll get around to doing it tomorrow instead – but it never quite works out that way, does it?
Start as You Mean to Go On
To break the habit of not getting around to doing things for you, you need to create a morning routine that’s all about you: you need to start your day with the things you want to do. Starting your day with activities that make you feel good, things that motivate you, and things that put you in a positive frame of mind is the most effective way to create a feel-good factor that sticks with you all day. When you start your day on a roll, you’ll keep rolling all day as it’s always easier to deal with everyday pressures or an unexpected spanner in the works if you’re feeling positive about life, right?
The best part of establishing a morning routine is that it allows you take control of your day. In effect, you’re able to get your day rolling in whichever way you choose. A routine tailored to suit your own needs helps you begin each day with purpose. Starting your day with energizing, circulation boosting, health promoting physical activities gets your body fired up and ready for action; starting your day with a gentle yoga session and quiet meditation promotes a relaxed, calm frame of mind, ready to take on a stressful day, so what are you waiting for?
Take action today to make sure your tomorrow starts on a roll:
- Write out a list of activities that would help you to kick-start your day – include the things you want to do and everything you promise yourself you’ll do, but never quite manage to achieve.
- Plan and write down your intentions for tomorrow, today – create a precise action plan for the morning, before going to bed each night, and you’ll wake up each day with a sense of purpose already established.
- Set your alarm clock and GET UP when it goes off – set your alarm clock early enough to accommodate your planned morning routine. Avoid the snooze button and get your day started positively by focusing on the planned activities ahead, not the comfy bed you’re leaving behind.
- Do something you want to do – make the first activity of the day something you really want to do. If the first activity on your list is something you feel you should do rather than something you really want to do, motivation will be hard to maintain. The whole idea is to make the start of the day all about you, so make it fun.
- Keep going – once you’re out of bed and on the move, keep going. Make the most of the opportunity you have created for yourself and enjoy having time to do things that make you feel good about yourself and your life. The beginning of the day belongs to you… make it yours, and go get it!